Planners are wonderful, but if you don’t know how to organize your planner for maximum productivity. They are not going to do you any good.
Don’t worry, because this article explains the best ways to organize your planner and make it work for you. You’ll see the bigger picture and how to manage your time best.
Maybe you’re trying to stay on top of things like school activities, appointments, work, and other important dates. Maybe you have tried several planners, but none seems to work for you.
So how do you organize your planner, so you never feel overwhelmed again?
But, let’s first look at different types of planners.
Types of Planners
You’ll find different types of planners, but your choice depends on your preference. You can find the following;
- A planner that gives you a look at each day in full
- A planner that shows you a week at a glance
- A planner that shows one month at a time – it’s less detailed.
The type of planner you choose depends on your organizational style, where, and how you use your planner.
So how do you determine your needs?
Try out several planner layouts until you find one that works for you.
How to use a planner effectively.
A planner will only be beneficial if you use it effectively. Here is how to use a planner to help, no matter how small it is. You’ll find great satisfaction in crossing off your to-do list.
- Always write everything down – No matter what you have to do, however small it is, write it down. Even if it doesn’t have a set time or day, just write in a scratchpad/notes type area.
- Using color-coding can help you find what you need faster. You can have a color for each family member or other activities for yourself. The color will immediately tell you what is coming up.
- Keep lists in your planner to stay organized. Add whatever you need to do on the appropriate list, such as appointments, changing oil, renewing subscription.
- Budget and bills – Have a section in your planner where you write down your weekly and monthly budget, bills, and due dates. It helps to have all the bills at a glance, makes paying them, and staying on a budget easier.
- Weekly meal planning makes cooking cheaper and easier. Knowing what is on the menu helps you know what to buy. You also know how long it’ll take you to prepare it.
- Use electronic planners for quick reminders. Google calendars are great, but sometimes you forget to update. Electronic planners enable you to quickly write notes and items you don’t want to forget. You can set reminders 1 day, 1 hour, or 10 minutes before start time to remind you of what’s coming up.
- Have one day a week when you can sit down to plan your schedule for the week. Decide the important tasks you want to complete for the week. Review all your schedules and appointments. Ensure you don’t double book any time, block time to work on important projects, and set time for special family events.
- Check your planner daily to know what you need to accomplish and cross off as you complete them. Check your daily planner every night before, fill out the next day’s to-do list, and have a plan for the following day. As you prepare for the next day, ensure to have everything you need, and prepare yourself mentally for the day. Take time to think through your plan, so you don’t feel rushed and overwhelmed once your morning starts.
- Keep your daily planner with you all the time – This affects the size of a planner you choose. The big ones (8 X 10 size) will require you to have an extra bag to carry it with you. But you can also find a purse size planner that can fit in your handbag. Carrying your planner everywhere helps you update it as often as you need to throughout the day.
If you want to stay organized and productive, you have to use a planner that you will carry with you.
How to organize your planner for beginners
Are you new to planners?
A planner is the most effective tool to keep you organized and productive. To be most effective, follow the tips above to organize your planner and always keep it with you.
When you follow the tips above will keep your day and time organized every day.
Get a FREE “organize my life planner.”
Set your daily goals and plan your day with the FREE Organize My Life Planner.
Sign up to our Free Resource Library and download your free copy today.